Hell & Eternal Punishment
Don't the wicked burn forever?
Review: Last lesson, we talked about the punishment of the wicked.
INTRODUCTION: This lesson, we are going to discuss Hell. What does eternal fire mean? Is there a burning hellfire now?
HE - 1 Is there a hellfire burning now? II Peter 2:4,9
1. The wicked are not punished until the day of Judgment.
2. Hellfire is not burning now.
HE - 2 How are the wicked described in Hell? Revelation 14:9-11
1. The wicked go through a terrible time.
2. Their smoke ascends forever and ever.
HE - 3 Lets see what forever means in Biblical terms? Exodus 21:6; Jonah 2:1,2,5,6
1. The slave was to serve his master forever.
2. Forever means as long as the slave lived.
3. As long as life lasts.
HE - 4 Lets look at another example of eternal fire. Jude 7
1. Sodom and Gomorrah were burned up by eternal fire.
2. They are not burning today, but they were forever destroyed.
HE - 5 How do we relate this to the punishment of the wicked?
Psalms 37:9,10,20 Psalms 21:9
1. A time is coming when the wicked will not be.
2. Revelation 20:9,10 tells us that the fire devours.
HE - 6 How complete will be the effect of the fire in destroying the unrepentant sinner? Malachi 4:1-3; Ezekiel 28:18,19
1. They are burned up, leaving neither root or branch.
2. The wicked become as ashes.
3. Isaiah 47:14; not even enough heat to keep warm.
HE - 7 What connection is there between "everlasting fire" and "everlasting punishment" Matthew 25:41,46
1. Everlasting fire is here linked with everlasting punishment.
2. Hence, the punishment is eternal not the punishing. Job 4:17 - Man is mortal.
I Timothy 6:16 - only God is immortal.
I Corinthians 15:20-23, 51-54 only the righteous are granted immortality.
HE - 8 Where must our name be to escape this eternal punishment? Revelation 20:15 In the Lamb's book of life.
We need to trust totally in Jesus, and allow Him to lead us, so our names are found written in the Lamb's book of life.
PREVIEW: Next lesson, how to pray and why.